Tuesday, August 10, 2010

the wind and the waves

As I was reading our morning Bible story to the kids, I was once again reminded of our disobedience and our need for the Lord. The Bible story was about when Jesus was in the boat with the disciples and the huge storm came up. They were all very scared, but Jesus was sleeping. He had nothing to fear. As the story goes on, the disciples woke him up, because they were scared of drowning. Jesus calmed the storm by His words and the disciples were amazed. The passage reads: "In fear and amazement they asked one another, Who is this? He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him."
Obedience is a topic which comes up very often in my house, since we have three little children who do not always want to obey. As we were talking about the story, I reminded them that all of nature obeys Jesus, but we so often do not choose to obey Him. I am amazed by our disobedience and our lack of submission to our Creator. We are quite arrogant to think that we do not have to obey Him, even though all of His other creations obey Him. I was also recently reminded of this truth as I read David Platt's book, Radical. He states, "Everything in all creation responds in obedience to the Creator... until we get to you and me. We have the audacity to look God in the face and say, 'No.'" Unfortunately, we do this every day. We, as the creation, think that we do not need to obey our Creator. How foolish are we?
May we learn to obey Him just as the wind and the waves do.

No comments: